Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Day Three


Objective: Good readers understand spelling patterns and recognize unaccented final syllables. They are also able to retell the story that they have just read.

Procedures:
           
           Do a word sort.
Look over the words with Sam. Explain to him that we are going to be putting those words into three categories. Let him look them over and see if he can figure out the categories.  Once he gets stuck, help him and guide him in the right direction.
     
       Do a running record.
                  Do a running record over, The Real Slam Dunk. Explain to him that you want him to read until the stop mark and that your not allowed to help with any hard words. Tell him you are just going to listen and take some notes.
 
       Free Read
                  If time, read his choice of book and focus on the questioning strategy.

        Reflection on Student:
                  Sam did excellent on his running record. He only missed one word, which I think was a mistake he wouldn’t miss again. He said back instead of backpack. He also did a great job with the word study. He noticed one of the categories right away and the other two with a little bit of help. 

        Reflection on Self:
                  Sam’s teacher informed us that he reads a level N text. After reading with him a couple times, I felt that he could read higher then that. I wish I would of went with the my gut feeling because the running record was too easy for him today. I may look at other level N books or bump him up to a level O next time and see how that goes. I may also pick new words for my word study, because he did so well. Overall, we got a lot done today and I am very proud of his work!

No comments:

Post a Comment