Saturday, March 15, 2014

Day Two


Objective: Gain information about the student's spelling abilities and attitude towards reading. 

Procedure:
   Distribute the reading attitude survey
   Spelling inventory
   Free read

From Sam's reading attitude survey, I gathered that Sam enjoys reading, but enjoys other things more. He enjoys starting new books at school but doesn't like reading during free choice time or in the summer. He likes reading different genres and doesn't mind reading aloud in the class. He doesn't feel comfortable getting called on to answer questions or taking tests. 

I had Sam do a spelling test over twenty-five words for the spelling inventory. He spelled 18/25 words correctly. His feature points were, 55/62 and total points were, 73/87. As we got further along with the test, he started missing more. As I looked over the information, I gathered that he is at the unaccented final syllables spelling stage. With this information, I plan to construct a word study over these types of words and try to get Sam to excel in this area. 

Today was a lot of testing and finding out more about Sam. Next week I plan to do a running record and a word study. So far, we have had time to do some free reading every day, which he seems to really enjoy. I plan on allowing us time to read everyday. 



No comments:

Post a Comment