Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Day Four


Objective: 
     Good readers understand spelling patterns and recognize unaccented final syllables.
     Good readers use question to help them comprehend the stories that they read.


 
Procedure:
Do a word sort. Write down each word on card (unaccented final syllable words). Flip the cards upside down and have the student pick one up and stick on the table (I used sticky notes). Have him flip over another card and have him determine whether it should go under the first word or be in a different category. Continue this procedure. (This is an open sort with a "twist").




Do a running record over the level O book, Daniel Boone. 

Reflection on Student: 
I decided to bump Sam up to a level O book this week because level N was way too easy for him. This level N was always easy for him. He had one error and one self correction. I suggested that he needed to focus on those middle sounds (refer to picture). I also checked for comprehension and he did great! His rate is a little slow and he still points to his words sometimes, but other then that, he can read higher then a level N book. Sam also did excellent with his word sort. He caught on to the patterns very quickly and needed no      assistance. 

Reflection on Self:
I really enjoyed doing the word sort with Sam today. He seemed to be enjoying it too. I liked how I did the words on sticky notes so he could group the words by sticking them together. Free reading time is also something I always enjoy with Sam. He picked a great book that we have really been enjoying. I focused on questioning today, and his answers are also so well thought out and excellent. I stopped in various spots during the reading to model asking questions. I asked him if he asked him self questions while he reads and he said, "Yes, especially if I don't know what a word means." Today was a good day!



No comments:

Post a Comment